Saturday, October 2, 2010

Videos on the Future of Education

The common themes among the videos that i am responding to are:  technology and being a global citizen. 
Students of today and the future need to have an understanding for each other, responsibility for the world, and empathy.  Students need to be taught about other cultures and ways of life and that there is a common thread that links all of us in the world not just those in their community.  Students need to be taught that there is a common thread that intertwines us all and how to blend that thread and not just be concerned with their self.  Todays students need to be caring, concerned, helpful in order to give hope, pateience and happiness to themselves and others.  We need to teach children that we are all ONE and teach tolerance and understanding for different cultures.  As prinicipal, I would make sure that my students were provided opportunities for seeing and participating in different cultural perspectives and also have the opportunity to help other areas of the world that face death and poverty and in other issues through relief efforts sponsored through me school.
Students are now living in the digital age and not the industrial age.  We as teachers need to stay abreast with technology or we will no longer be able to teach the students of today.  Students are taught today through computers, ipods, blogs, podcasts, etc.  We as teachers need to bait and hook these students and it can no longer be done the way we were taught.  we need to not just teach the test, we need to provide students with hands on learning, involve them in why they are learning not just giving them problems and saying you have to memorize.  They need to be taught the process.  As a prinicpal, I would have my teachers staying up to date on teachnology in order to reach the learners of today.  I would do this through inservices and professional development.  I would monitor that my teachers were using what they had been taught through these inservices so that it benefits the students.  Studnets need to be able to learn through their way of learning, so teachers would teach using whatever, whenever, wherever.

The video that I found was created by a group of kids that what to show teachers how students feel when they are not allowed to use the digital age in the classroom.  These boys wrote this song that you hear in the video as well as created the video.  I agree with the boys, that students need to be able to create, analyze, evaluate, apply and think through technology.  We as teachers need to continue to learn and prepare studnets for the future not the ways that we were taught. Remember that we are teaching students for jobs in the future that we do not even know exist.  Our teaching has to change in order to prepare students for the future.

The link to my video that I wrote about is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxHb5QVD7fo&feature=related

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the video you chose. I believe we as teachers need to be trained on all the the new technology available. We need to know how it can be used in our classrooms to enhance the learning experience and engage the students. It is important for us to stay current so that the learning is relative. The video gives us a picture of what it its like from a child's perspective. How can we interest them in their education if we are teaching like it's 1965. Technology is the way of the world and we must catch up to where our students are. I was upset at the idea that my schools has decided it will no longer teach cursive writing anymore and then I realize everytning is emailed and typed on the computer. Keyboarding skills are far more relative to todays society than cursive writing. As our world evolves so must we!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the video! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete